Saturday, March 6, 2010

The men's games

February 22nd I worked outside all day. Luckily I knew this ahead of time so dressed for the weather! My team was in charge of the ticketing (they were ticket-takers outside the main entrance) and we were also in charge of giving directions from the lifeguard chairs outside the main entrance. It was a pretty smooth day...I had a GREAT team working for me...I made sure to give them plenty of breaks and we brought them hot chocolate, etc. to keep them warm. It was sunny out and the fans were excited for the games...a good day it was!

February 23 and 24th were probably my best days yet! The men were coming to our stadium to play a qualifying match and a quarterfinal match. Other men's teams (like Team Sweden) came to our arena to practice too. Everyone was pretty excited to see the stars...although we weren't allowed to take pictures!

My area for these two days was the media section and the VIP section. In my opinion, these are the plum positions in the entire arena and I was THRILLED to be working here. My team each day was THRILLED to be working here too, which made it easy to be their "boss." Everyone was happy, everyone got to watch LOTS of hockey...we met broadcasters and members of the media and a few VIPs along the way.

Our games were exciting to watch and even went into overtime. When Team Finland was playing, the President of Finland was there and it was really interesting dealing with her security detail and working with them to make sure she was safe at all times. She almost got hit by a puck, which was pretty funny actually! There was just one game each evening (we are used to two games per day)...so it seemed like easier days all around.

At the end of the 24th, it was a bit sad. Our last game at UBC...we had a farewell volunteer party and lots of pictures were taken and our farewells were said. Many of us were going to be working the closing ceremony and some of us will be back at UBC for the paralympics...but at the end of the day, although we are truly tired and worn out from very long days...it's an experience I will never forget and I am truly lucky to have been part of the 2010 Olympics!

No comments:

Post a Comment