Saturday, March 6, 2010

Closing Ceremonies -- Feb 28th


Neil Young performs at the Closing Ceremonies.



The gold medal men's hockey match at Plaza of Nations.



Me at BC Place prior to the closing ceremony.



My fellow team leaders at UBC Thunderbird after our last shift!



Our last team leader/supervisor meeting the morning of our last shift at UBC.


Saturday (Feb 27th) was a great day, as just Katrina and I headed downtown all afternoon to take in Olympic stuff...Emma had a playdate and Kirk was at work. It was nice for Kat to get to do what she wanted! She doesn't mind the lines, so off we went to check out the Northern Canada Pavilion...we also went to HBC downtown again so that she could pin swap. It was amazing how many people on the street noticed all the pins on her lanyard and gave her free pins. She was pretty stoked! Then inside the Bay, you should have seen her wheel and deal with the pin traders there! She must have 25 or 30 pins now...mostly of the mascots. She got everything she wanted...then we went to the Mint (still a 6 hour line to see the medals, so no chance there)...and ate dinner out.

Sunday I worked the closing ceremonies and unfortunately got stuck outside AGAIN! I was super disappointed. At least it wasn't raining this time. I only had 16 volunteers in our section, even though we were meant to have 35. And two people in my group, as soon as they found out we were outside, ditched us and went home! So, morale wasn't the best to start out the day...but I promised my team I'd get them inside to watch for a little while...and that I did! We went inside at 6pm and were there until almost 7:15pm before having to go back outside to our post prior to egress (when the spectators leave the venue). It was great...we saw Sochi's performance...also were there for the speeches and the standing ovations for the gold medal hockey game and also for the Georgian athlete. Very emotional! We saw Neil Young perform...the flame go out...William Shatner...and had to leave just before Michael Buble (too bad!). I have it all taped, but haven't found time to watch it on TV yet...

Luckily I was able to see the gold medal hockey game with 2 minutes to go (saw the US tie it up) on the big tv screens at Plaza of Nations...was just going for my dinner break then, so watched us score our game winning goal too. Was great! The screaming crowd outside was unbelievable!

Hard to believe the games are over...it is an experience I will never forget and I feel SO incredibly lucky to have been part of it. I met and worked with so many great people from all over Canada and beyond; to be the "face of the Games" was a wonderful experience and I think the 2010 Olympics were a huge success. Volunteering for the Games is something I will always remember, and in fact...I bet I will do it again in my life...who knows, maybe London 2012? Ha ha! At least I still have the paralympics to look forward to. I'll be a "Team Leader" back at UBC again for sledgehockey...

Fireworks video from closing ceremony:

No comments:

Post a Comment