Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feb 19-23, 2010

Time has been flying by and I just haven't had enough time to sleep let alone blog! I will get some photos up soon, but thought I'd post something quick.

Feb 19th -- was a practice day at UBC Thunderbird Arena...no games. Was very (yawn) boring...quite different when no games on. I had a terrific group of volunteers though and they all stayed very positive and had a good time despite some boredom.

Kirk and I had a sitter at home, so since I was off at 6:15 and he at 7pm, we met in Vancouver...ate dinner and hung out downtown and took in the Olympic stuff. We went to the pyrotechnic show at 9:30pm which is at Robson Square...it is something like you'd see at Disneyland. Amazing! Course, then we got caught in a mosh pit afterwards...it really wasn't safe at all. I was SO glad to not have the kids with us. We were being pushed and shoved, it was a bit scary. Made it out alive (obviously) but from that point on the police started cracking down a bit heavier on all the partiers and closed the liquor stores at 7pm on the weekend...sounds like it helped. People were a bit out of control, I'd say!

Feb 20th -- day off! Woot woot! Kirk, my mom, the girls and I went to a women's hockey game at Thunderbird (cuz I haven't seen enough of those. Ha ha!). We bought the tickets long before we knew I would be posted there...it was very cool to know all the staff and have everyone saying hi and wanting to meet my kids, etc. The game itself was very good/exciting...you'd think I could remember who played but honestly it's all a blur. I think we saw China versus ?? I'll have to update when my brain is functioning fully again (maybe in March, haha!).

After the game we went downtown and saw the Olympic cauldron (very cool)...we walked on Granville street and went to the Royal Canadian Mint...there was a 6 hour lineup to get to see (and hold) the medals...so we didn't get to do that. We did see the million dollar coin, though. Pretty neat. We also held a $500,000 gold bar...pictures to follow. Am hoping to get to the Mint again to see the medals (I hear even the 6 hour wait is worth it, believe it or not!). Perhaps one morning I can go early ... we'll see...apparently the line isn't so bad during the week and earlier in the day. Maybe only 2 hours?

We also went to the official HBC Olympic store but got told the line was an hour long by a worker (and it was 10pm). Kirk and Katrina stayed to shop and my mom and I took my youngest home. Then 10 minutes later Kirk calls to say he's already in the store. Drats! I'll head back there another day too...quite the place!

Feb 21st -- Another day off...how'd I manage two in a row? We watched the USA versus Canada game at our friends' house...was fun to get together but not fun to watch Canada lose!

Feb 22nd -- Back at UBC...my post is outside where the ticket takers are...it's a beautifully sunny day and is a great day to be outside (even though it is a tad cold). We have an awesome team and everyone has a really great day. At the end of the night we are able to watch the overtime period and then the shoot out.

Feb 23rd -- My shift today doesn't start until 3:30pm, so I go into work for a few hours. Was nice to see my desk again! Ha ha! Today the men are playing at UBC (qualifying game...Czech versus Latvia). Kirk ends up getting tickets this afternoon for him and the girls too! My section tonight (and tomorrow too) is the media section. It is a very easy area...I was there last week for the Canada game. We just watched the game...no problems whatsoever. Well, tonight it is different and we have a TON of spectators sneaking into the VIP/Olympic family area and we have to constantly monitor and be the "bad guy" and ask people for their tickets and kick them out of the section, etc. Seriously, all the seats are awesome...not sure why people have to move! The problem with the Olympic friends/family section is that many of them don't come right away or for the whole game so we need to keep the seats open for them as they arrive late...by the end of the night it was pretty full (with accredited people!)...the game goes into a 10-minute overtime and in the end Czech wins. VERY exciting game and Latvia played their heart out...the whole stadium kept cheering for them as they were the underdogs...losing 2-0 until they scored two goals in the last period...tomorrow is my last shift at UBC (then I work Sunday at the closing ceremony at BC Place). Can't believe this part of my experience is almost over!

No comments:

Post a Comment